kiss club 2023 callouts open29 November 2022
kickstart edition - artist call out
KISS club returns in 2023 with a bespoke edition for the 2023 KickstART Festival presented by Propel Youth Arts in partnership with Midland Junction Arts.
- Callout Open: Friday 28th November, 2022
- KISS club sessions: TBC – email email@example.com if you would like to be notified of the date and make sure you are following Propel on all socials.
- Callout Applications Close: 11:59pm, Sunday 26th February, 2023
- Callout Notification: Early March, 2023
- KISS club lab: Wednesday 12th – Friday 14th April, 2023 @ Midland Junction Arts
- KISS Club performance evenings: Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th April, 2023 (part of the KickstART Festival)
Background & 2022 Kickstart Edition:
KISS club is a performance event for ideas in development, featuring emerging and established artists across live and experimental arts practice. It is an opportunity to trial a performative experiment that requires an audience to test it. Created by Sydney based artist Karen Therese, KISS club has been presented by tactical media group pvi collective since 2012, in partnership with PICA from 2017 to 2020, and evolving into a Kickstart edition last year.
For this Kickstart edition, applications are open only to artists aged between 18-26 years old.
KISS club is a collaboration between Propel, Midland Junction Arts and pvi collective. Selected artists will participate in a 3 day KISS club lab and present 10 minutes of a work in progress to an audience, providing a chance to trial new ideas and receive feedback in a generous and supportive environment.
In previous iterations, artists have worked with a selected pvi artist as a provocateur in the lead-up to the performance showing. In response to participant feedback, we have shifted to a new format, offering a 3-day lab opportunity to both interrogate the idea in progress and develop the best means of testing this with an audience. This lab is envisioned as professional development and an opportunity for KISS club artists to support and engage with one another as a group.
The organisations are excited to offer this opportunity now, to an emerging cohort of live artists, and work with selected artists to develop new ideas.
KISS club celebrates work in progress, giving audiences a fresh insight into what is bubbling in the hearts and minds of Perth’s experimental performance makers, and the opportunity to help shape and support new work. A hit with audiences, this fast and furious performance night has SOLD OUT over the past 5 years.
Who Should Apply?
- Artists aged 18-26 years old.
- WA emerging and established practitioners, groups or collectives from any live art form who are keen to test out a component of an idea or embryonic work in progress in front of a live audience.
How does the public feedback event work?
Part of the Kickstart Festival, and presented in Midland Junction Arts ‘Performance Space, each artist presents up to 10 minute’s work during the event, one after the other. Time for audience feedback is allocated at the end of the evening, in small groups.
Artists will receive:
- An honorarium of $750 per group.
- A place in the KISS club 3 day lab.
- Free access to Midland Junction Arts’ Performance Space for rehearsal in the lead up to the event.
- For the event, access to Midland Junction Arts’ house lighting, A/V and sound systems.
- Technical support on the day of the event and a Venue Technician to operate during the event.
- A copy of photo documentation taken at the event.
- Anything else required to test the work (props, costumes etc)
Please read the KISS club FAQ info for further details here.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or for any questions.
Head here to apply: https://form.jotform.com/201359411815855