drinks far too much tea, dry white wine and mccallan single malt whiskey.
Kate Neylon has a background in arts and event management that has run alongside her career as a performer, screen actor and producer.
One of the 5 original artists and performers in the company, Kate has been the company producer since 2009. Highlights have included seasons at the Perth International Arts Festival, Sydney Biennale, Encounters Festival [Mumbai], Malmo Festival [Stockholm], Symposium of Electronic Art [Sydney] and other major art events around the globe. For 8 years, she also managed CIA [Centre for Interdisciplinary Arts] Studios, an initiative of the company that provided subsidized studio space, masterclass opportunities and international residencies to artists and filmmakers pushing the boundaries in their specific art form.
Kate has also worked in film and television in various roles, focusing on producing in recent years. She has produced a number of films with local director Pete Gleeson including the critically acclaimed feature documentary “Hotel Coolgardie” – following a highly successful festival run at Hot Docs, Slamdance & Sydney Film Festival to name a few, the team self-distributed a theatrical release in Australia and New Zealand.
In early 2019, she will produce her first feature drama, Below, a darkly humourous action film set in a detention centre, to be directed by Maziar Lahooti.
- described most often as “intimidating”
- produces the work of the collective
- loves writing funding applications
- negotiates some fees down and some fees up
- hides the contingencies in budgets from the artists
- meets lots of lovely people from venues around the world
- provides voice-overs for promos and artworks
- buys new shoes on every interstate or international trip